Sunday, February 7, 2010

Jamie- 0, Food Poisoning- 1


Another great day in London this saturday! We went to the Tower of London, which was amazing! The Tower of London was built in 1097, and serves as a royal residence, armoury, treasury, and as a prison. 

This nice bloke (man) was our travel guide. They are officially called Yeoman Warders. Their official job is to look after any prisoners of the tower, as well as protect the Crown Jewels. Today they are more likely to be tour guides through the Tower. 

Their nickname is "Beefeaters." This nickname originated because up to the 1880's, their salary was paid in chunks of beef.



This is the traitor's gate, which was used for the entrance for all prisoners here at the Tower of London. The moat surrounding the Tower would meet up with the Thames River, where the boats would bring in the prisoners here to this gate. Sir Thomas More was brought through this gate!

In one of my history classes at school, we are learning about the two Princes who disappeared at the Tower. They were brought here by their uncle, as the eldest would soon become king. However, they were last seen playing in the garden, and were never seen alive again. Hundreds of years later, workers found the remains of 2 young boys, and it is said that their uncle had them killed so that he could become (and did) King of England... Creepy!


Here is one of the 9 ravens held at the Tower of London. It is said that if the ravens ever leave the Tower of London, the kingdom will fall. They are supposed to have 6 at all times, and there are 3 extra right now. They just wander the area, but in the above pictures you can see their houses. 


Here were the Crown Jewels! Among all the beautiful jewels, this building holds the world's biggest diamond, the Sceptre with the Cross from 1660. 
They have a guard watching the Crown Jewels at all times!




You can walk the walls of the Tower, which give a great view of the Tower Bridge!


From here we went on to St. Paul's Cathedral, and walked up the 500 steps to the Golden Gallery at the very top of the Cathedral. Unfortunately for me, I had just eaten some food that was not settling well. As soon as we arrived to the church, I was feeling sick. I managed my way up to to the top, but on the way down starting to fell really bad. We took a break at a coffee shop. 

We then walked to Shakespeare Globe (!) which was amazing. Shakespeare's Globe is dedicated to his type of theatre. It is an open arena, just like the theatres during the Elizabethan Period. The poor would get standing tickets, and the rich would get their own boxes for the play. It was common for the actors to get things thrown at them if they weren't doing well, especially tomatoes or apples. Shakespeare's Globe was beautiful! Since I wasn't feeling well, Heather took most of the pictures for me. I will try to steal some from her (yet again) to show you all. :)

However, at this point I was quite sick. I had manged about 2 hours of walking around, but just couldn't take it anymore. We slowly made our way back to the train station. However, with the bumpy train ride, I only made it about 3 minutes before getting sick on the train. I had managed to get sick 3 more times before making it to my room, where I collapsed. My host family thinks I got food poisoning from the Tuna I had for lunch. They said seafood is really easy to spoil quickly, and they think I had food poisoning from it. 

I made it through the night, but woke up a lot in pain. I slept for quite some time. Today, I feel like I ran a marathon, and I have been really sore and achy. But, the stomach pains are gone, and I think I will be fine by tomorrow.  I think I will be staying away from Seafood for awhile now though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment